Maria is one of my great friends and she makes the most wonderful soups! I asked her to send me some of her recipes and she sent me this one that is wonderful. The best part is that is easy to make and tastes delicious! Modify as you’d like. I made a few modifications myself based on the ingredients that I had!
1. Use one boneless chicken breast. Place in pot and cover breast with Progresso chicken broth (don’t use it all in the beginning because you will be adding more in later!). Cook for about 10 minutes.
2. Remove chicken from broth. Cool and then cut/shred into small pieces before putting back in the broth.
3. Dice 3 carrots, 5 pieces of celery, and one medium sized Spanish onion. Cut up two cloves of garlic and put all the ingredients into the pot.
4. At this point figure out what type of grain you would like to add to your soup, whether it be rice, noodles, orzo pasta, etc. If you already have it cooked then you can wait 15-20 minutes before adding it to the pot depending on what you decide on and the cooking time of those grains. Otherwise, place the grains into the pot!
5. Add more chicken broth so that all the ingredients are covered. Cook for about 30-40 minutes so that the broth boils and all the ingredients are cooked (mostly concerned about the chicken). Start off the first 10 minutes on high heat and then place to medium heat.
6. At this point add your spices (red hot pepper flakes, black pepper, etc.). You may also continue to add broth if you like it really soupy or you can leave as is if you like a stew consistency. Taste and adjust with more spices.
**Add other vegetables if you wish at step 3!!
** I used chicken asada from Trader Joe’s and because it already came marinated I didn’t have to add any other spices 🙂
Garnish with fresh avocado, cilantro, parsley, basil or whatever else suits your fancy.