I did not have the day off, if you couldn’t tell from my title. However, today was a great day, and I think a great start to the rest of my week. I’m grateful for a lot of things in my life, but today I’m going to talk about only a few in no particularly order.
1. No traffic: I was fortunate enough not to have to deal with traffic today on my way to work. Why? Well, because everyone else has the day off (mostly talking about the kids here, and other lucky people that work for the government/have a job that recognizes the holiday). I don’t drive, so technically I never had to “deal” with traffic, but it’s always nice when you don’t have to sit in it.
2. No meetings: I usually look forward to meetings because it keeps me from starting at my computer all day, but I also feel like it breaks up my productivity since I’m not actually getting work done during those meetings. Since today I had no meetings, I felt twice as efficient as usual, which was pretty awesome. The afternoon just flew by and I got done what I needed to get done 🙂
3. Music (mainly, Hype Machine): Danielle introduced me a few months back but then I forgot about it. Whoops. When I went to visit her in New York we started talking about it again and towards the end of last week I started using it again. I highly recommend it! I’ve found some great new songs (mostly thanks to Danielle). I had kind of forgotten how much I enjoy music and how I need to listen to music while I’m doing work. It boosts my happiness and productivity 🙂 I listened to Hype Machine all day today and I attribute 85% of my productivity to the fact that I was listening to music and in my groove (pun intended).
4. Homemade food: Not going to lie, I brought a delicious lunch to work today. And I’m super excited because I have enough to bring variations of it this week. I have this baby crock pot and last night I went to the grocery store and bought ingredients for the week, including beef to make shredded beef. OMG it’s SO GOOD. I made my mommy’s recipe. This is the same recipe we use when we make beef tamales for Christmas. I did a fantastic job. I did have to exercise some patience (6 hours worth), which was pretty painful, but worth it in the end!!! I also made quinoa, lentils, and veggies and make a yummy salad thing (I got this recipe from Danielle when she made me lunch while I was in NYC). I’m so happy I’m back to cooking and that I finally made the time to do so because it truly makes a difference.
5. My family: Without them, I wouldn’t know half the recipes I know how to make. Just kidding!! Haha, that is actually true, but I am not only grateful for that. I’m grateful to know they always have my back and even though we don’t get to see each other all the time (my parents are in CA, relatives scattered everywhere, and my sister a couple blocks away but I see her maybe once I month these days), I know they are thinking of me and I likewise am thinking of them 🙂 I love my family ❤
6. My body: I am grateful for everything that I’m able to do with it such as walking, running, play soccer, make food, etc. I don’t always do the best job taking care of myself, but I’m working to be better because I still want to be able to be active and run around 40-50 years from now. In fact, I’m going to play in a soccer game in just a couple of hours. Late game, I know! As I’ve mentioned before, I’ve really tried to take it easy since my injury and not push myself too hard because it wasn’t worth getting more hurt. And now, I’m back to running around a bit. My work formed a co-ed soccer team and we joined a soccer league. Our first game was last week. It was a ton of fun, but let me tell you, my body hurt real bad the next day. Not to mention, it was already sore from surfing the previous day. I’m hoping that I don’t ache as badly tomorrow morning, and this time I’m going to make a more conscious effort to stretch. Yeah….didn’t do that last week. Probably not the best idea. I learned my lesson.
Have a great rest of your week! I hope all of you that had the day off took advantage 😉
P.S. Here are some photos from last week/this week so far! I went to 3 Little Figs one day last week and bought the greek yogurt with granola. It was great! I also got this coupon for this box of yummy food called Bestowed Box. I’m doing a 3 month subscription and it came with some great snacks. My favorite thing inside was the bag of beet cookies. Sounds weird, but trust me the cookies were good 🙂 I also have some tomato soup I made and hot chocolate from this awesome diner called the Breakfast Club. And I had Thai for lunch last Friday!! I love Thai food. Yum yum.