Bumming out at the beach (sort of)

I spent quite a lot of time today at the beach! And more than one beach 🙂 This morning one of my freshman year roommates and best friends went driving along Oceano/Grover beach in her dad’s Jeep. SO MUCH FUN. I’ve never driven on the beach before and while it seemed like a cool idea, I wasn’t sure what to expect. We took the roof off the Jeep and it was so awesome to feel the wind blowing in our faces. Jackie’s dad even let us each take turns driving on the beach. It was a ton of fun!!


Afterwards, I got ready for my run. Today was my last long run before the half-marathon. I was all fueled up as I had eaten scrambled eggs, rosemary potatoes, beans and salsa for breakfast a few hours before. My end destination was Port San Luis in Avila Beach. I felt good starting out but a few miles in the bottom of my right foot started nagging at me. I also made the mistake of not bringing water with me on my 12 mile run. I usually never bring water with me (except for last week when I carried a water bottle the entire way and had a terrible hand cramp and vowed never to carry a water bottle ever again). So this week I decided not to. Luckily I was able to find a water fountain and also a nice woman gave me an extra water bottle she had at the 9 mile mark (very sweet of her). Those last three miles were tough , but I made it and it felt great to finish. I cooled down for about 30 minutes after my run, which consisted of barely jogging back to the Avila pier and then stretching out all the major muscle groups. My mom also met me with a delicious Kale smoothie (Kale, orange juice, banana, avocado, strawberries), nuts, and an apple. Thanks mom! We watched the waves while I stretched and ate and spent some time just relaxing and enjoying the sun. When we got home, I also ate half a turkey and avocado sandwich and had some chocolate for dessert, along with lots and lots of water!!

This is a picture that I took once I finished my run!

Needless to say, I’ve spent the rest of the day pretty sore. I didn’t do too much the rest of the day besides looking for a running belt with water bottle holders for my parents (so they wouldn’t have the same issue that I had today with the water. They are running their 12 miles tomorrow while I am at Zumba training!

For dinner tonight, we ate chicken asada, black rice and quinoa, along with avocado, salsa, and corn on the cob. For dessert I finished the rest of this amazing giant cookie from a local place called Cow Boy Cookies. I honestly believe they sell the best chocolate chip cookies I have ever had. I also had a little more chocolate (specifically two chocolate covered macadamia nuts from Hawaii). We also enjoyed a couple cups of peppermint tea and a puffed riced roll along with the tea!



(The picture of the cookie is a picture from their website). Doesn’t it look amazing?!

I’m heading to bed fairly early tonight as we are getting up at the crack of dawn. I know I’ve already said this, but I am very excited for Zumba training tomorrow. I have my lunch and snacks all packed already. Looking forward to a great Saturday!!

Good night!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s